Your browser does not support JavaScript!

Home Office Contact Number – 0844 248 2098

All calls to this number cost 7 pence per minute, plus your telephone providers access charge. Please note we are not associated with any of the companies listed on this website. This is a call connection service.

Opening Times for Home Office

Day Opens Closes
Monday 9 5
Tuesday 9 5
Wednesday 9 5
Thursday 9 5
Friday 9 5
Saturday Closed Closed
Sunday Closed Closed
Home Office
2 Marsham Street


Home Office Contact Number - 0844 248 2098

All information about immigration, law enforcement and National Security can be received by calling the Home Office Contact Number.

The Home Office can be contacted for queries about:

  • Immigration
  • Passports
  • Policing
  • National Security
  • Drug and Alcohol Policies

The Home Office is a ministerial department of the UK government in charge of preventing terrorism, cutting crime, controlling immigration, and promoting growth in the UK. They are supported by 28 agencies and public bodies, including the Migration Advisory Committee, the Investigatory Powers Tribunal and the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration. They are responsible for security, law and order, policing, fire and rescues, visas and immigration, and the Security Service (MI5). The office was previously in charge of prison and probation, but these responsibilities were transferred to the Ministry of Justice in 2007. The Home Office is responsible for many other agencies, including the HM Passport Office, the UK Border Agency (UKBA), and the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs. The Home Office funds a lot of research into alcohol, crime, counterterrorism, drugs, migration and policing. The Home Office Head Office is based at 2 Marsham Street, London, while the Headquarters of Visas and Immigrations is situated at 40 Wellesley Road in Croydon, South London.

More information regarding the Home Office and its agencies policies can be found at the Home Office Contact Number.

Home Office Contact Numbers:

Department Contact Number
Head Office 0844 248 2098
Help 0844 248 2099
Immigration Enquiries 0844 248 2123
Citizenship Enquiries  0843 178 3788
Careers 0843 557 5161
Public Services Enquiries 0843 557 3417

Opening Hours:

Department Opening Hours
Enquiries Monday to Friday, 9-5pm

Head Office Address:

Department Address
Head Office Home Office, 2 Marsham Street, London, SW1P 4DF
Visas and Immigrations Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY

History of the Home Office – 0844 248 2098

The Home Office as it is now was formed in 1782 when the existing Southern Department was renamed, and handed control of issues of domestic responsibility, initially revolving around advising the King, issuing instructions to Lords, Lieutenants and magistrates on behalf of the King, and safeguarding the rights of the public. On the same day, the Northern Department was renamed the Foreign Office and focussed their concern on foreign matters. In 2007, Home Secretary John Reid reduced the responsibilities of the Home Office, and the Prime Minister Tony Blair created the Ministry of Justice to take over the control of prison and probation. Many original responsibilities have been moved, such as control of military forces and health issues to more relevant departments, as control of fire and rescue services has been added. In 2012, the National Policing Improvement Agency was abolished and many functions were transferred to the Home Office, such as the use of the Airwave communications service used by the police, and The Police National Database. Also, legislative powers regarding police employment were transferred to the office, giving control over the overall effectiveness of the UK’s police force. As of 2014, the Home Office was responsible for a number of organisations, such as Non-Ministerial government departments like the National Crime Agency; Inspectorates and accountability like HM Inspectorate of Constabulary; many Divisions such as the Border Force; and some Non-Departmental public bodies such as the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs. All of these organisations help the Home Office in creating a safer environment within the UK. The Home Office’s Head Office was moved in 2005 from 50 Queen Anne’s Gate to 2 Marsham Street, both based in Westminster, London. The Home Office is referred to in parliamentary references as the Home Department.

Home Office and Immigration – 0844 248 2123

Home Office Contact Number - 0844 248 2098

The Home Office has a branch that deals specifically with issues of immigration, including applications for Leaves to Remain, visas and British citizenship. The UK Visas and Immigration service is responsible for making millions of decisions each year regarding applications to stay in the country, focusing their efforts on national security. They manage around 3 million visa applications yearly, for people who wish to travel to the UK to visit, study or work, and also for people who wish to become British citizens. They also monitor the UK’s asylum service, considering protective asylum for those eligible under the 1951 Geneva Convention.

For enquiries surrounding immigration policies, call the Home Office Contact Number above.

Working for the Home Office – 0843 557 5161

There are a number of different careers available within the Home Office, including public-facing roles and supporting operational areas of the business, such as policy, corporate services and operational roles. Offices are based all around the world, in places such as Whitehall, Croydon, Liverpool, Mumbai and Washington, meaning that whether you wish to travel or stay close to home, there could be a position available for you. The Home Office has been recognised by The Times Top 50 Employers for Women and was named as a Stonewall Star Performer in 2015. They offer many job benefits such as generous holiday allowances and childcare vouchers.

Their diversity policies allow for flexible posts for anyone who has a physical or mental impairment and creates a safe and accepting environment to be employed within.

Details of current vacancies and ways to apply can be found on the civil services job site.

Popular Question’s about the Home Office

What does the Home Office deal with?

The Home Office focuses on controlling immigration, through securing the UK border, considering applications to enter and stay in the UK, and monitoring and issuing visas and passports. The Home Office monitors ID cards such as passports and biometric residence permits and issues national identity cards. UK national identity cards ceased to be legal documents for confirming identity in 2010, and cannot be used as valid travel documents. The office focuses its consideration of immigration policies relating to their relevance to national security through controlling immigration and securing the national borders. The Home Office also plays a role in reducing and stopping crime, supporting policing by finding ways to empower the public and therefore create a more visible and responsible police service. The department puts resources into fighting drug and alcohol use problems, and also has control over fire prevention and rescue services, overall aiming to create a safer environment for the public. The office is also responsible for some scientific research, and so to meet the UK’s 5-year science and technology strategy has been researching into police sciences such as biometrics (such as face and voice recognition), DNA and improved profiling.

What role does the Home Office play in policing?

The Home Office helps police efficiency by creating a more flexible and collaborative workforce. The creation of the College of Policing and the National Crime Agency helped to kick-start effective careers in policing as sufficient training and supervising was provided, and an agency was created that successfully fights against organised crime. Police science research has been funded so that greater accuracy can be achieved in policing, aiding the police in their fight against crime within the UK. The Home Office also helped to strengthen Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary, and also introduced locally elected Police and Crime Commissioners, which helps to involve the public in their own protection and creates a feeling of intense local enforcement. The Home Office also monitors and allocates police financing, which was distributed through the needs-based police allocation formula in 2013 to 2014. However, since then it has been distributed by attributing uniform percentage changes to core grant funding for each Police and Crime Commissioner.

Who is Home Office Secretary?

The Minister responsible for the Home Office is Amber Rudd, Secretary of State for the Home Office (or Home Secretary), as she replaced Theresa May after May became Prime Minister. The Department Executive is Mark Sedwill, the Permanent Secretary.

Which public services are the Home Office responsible for? 0843 557 3417

The Home Office is responsible for a number of agencies including the Police and the UK Border Agency, which effectively controls and protects everything on and within the UK’s borders. The office is also responsible for Her Majesty’s Passport Office, Immigration Enforcement and UK Visas and Immigration.

When does the Home Office close for Christmas?

Availability for the Home Office will deteriorate over the Christmas period as staff members will become less available due to holiday time, and the office will be closed to the public on the Public Bank Holidays such as Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.

About the Home Office Indefinite Leave to Remain

An application for settlement within the UK is also known as an Indefinite Leave to Remain. This allows people who have already been living in the UK on a temporary visa to stay without a time limit. To apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain you must have an appropriate knowledge of the English Language and of life in the UK. Many people apply for British citizenship after they have qualified for Indefinite Leave to Remain for a year, which becomes useful as if you leave the UK for longer than 2 years beforehand, your access to the Indefinite Leave to Remain can be taken away from you.

Application forms can be found on the website, yet you must pass the life in the UK test before application. Your applications can be sent via the Post Office, yet responses can take up to 6 months, whereas if you visit a public enquiry office your results may be given to you on the same day.

Who regulates the Home Office? 0844 248 2099

The Home Office itself is not regulated by anyone, as it is a senior Government department. The Home Office does, however, take responsibility for a number of regulatory bodies, such as the Security Industry Authority (SIA) and the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner. The SIA monitors matters of security and private investigation and maintains that they are handled in ways relevant to UK law. The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner regulates immigration advisers and ensures they are following protocol in a lawful and adequate standard. These bodies help to make sure that offices running under the Home Office’s control are following UK standards and ensuring the highest level of national security.

How to prove right to live in the UK

Citizens of European Economic Area (EEA) countries or Switzerland can apply for a document to prove their right to live in the UK with either a registration certificate or a permanent resident document, depending on how long you have lived in the UK. Applicants may also be eligible if they are the partner, child or family member of someone from the EEA or Switzerland. To apply for registration, visiting either the visas and immigration page for registration certificates for EEA or Swiss nationals, or applying in person at a premium service centre are appropriate.

For queries regarding immigration and registration information, visit the website or call the Home Office Contact Number above.


Furqan Ramzan

Hi, my name is Furqan Ramzan I wanted to know my visa status. Actually my employer cancelled my visa he informed me on phone call when I was on holidays. Pls help me.

MD Moniruzzaman

Hi, I Moni booked an appointment for premier service for ILR at 24 of Nov2017. 6th of Nov Monday a ledy call me from Home office regarding my booking. She told me 24th of Nov Glasgow office is closed so I have to re book my appointment. I booked with her 20th of Nov over telephone but I did not get any mail or confirmation. What can I do now and how I contract with home office.


Leave a Reply to Furqan Ramzan Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Save time & money with our handy phone option guides

Ratings for the best customer services departments

The best deals and voucher codes for top UK companies